Welcome to the Murrysville Historical Preservation Society!
sincere appreciation to Ben Sampson for use of the Sampson/Clark toll House and Grounds as event site!
Murrysville’s Staymates House, built between 1785 and 1790 along present-day Round Top Road, played a unique role in Murrysville's history. The 2-story log cabin may have served as a rest stop for early settlers traveling west, and it has been referred to as a 'blockhouse', used in defense against Indian attacks in those days.
The Sampson/Clark Log Toll House, circa 1790, is located at 5302 West Pike Street, Murrysville, PA 15668
The Murrysville Historical Preservation Society, Inc. was founded in April 1987 by Roger T. Weiner, Jackie Wimer, Joan Kearns, Claire Bassett, Sandra Friesel and Eric Rogers who had unsuccessfully attempted to prevent the demolition of the stately 170 year old Bossart House in Murrysville Town Square.
The mission of the Murrysville Historical Preservation Society is to promote and educate residents through the discovery, collection and documentation of historical data, as well as support the preservation and refurbishing of historical structures, monuments and landmarks in the Murrysville area.
Our intent is to provide Murrysville residents, future generations and visitors of all ages with a better understanding of our rich heritage, colonial life and unique contributions of Murrysville in the history of Western Pennsylvania and the United States.
- Annual historical event held on grounds of the Sampson/Clark Toll House, c. 1790 on Saturday, September 15th, 2018. "Gateways to Westmoreland County” ...paths to the past ....from trails to turnpike! See you on the path September 15th! More to come!
- St. Nicholas at Murrysville Night of Lights Dec. 2018
- Local Roots Community Outreach presenters, taking our local history into the community -on going.
- Managers of Municpal Park Hoey-Staymates log House and Barn as of April 2018.
The MHPS supports:
- Local Scouting Organizations
-Initiatives with Franklin Regional School District
- Murrysville Parks and Recreation Dept
Pioneer Day Camp
- Identification of Local Historical Sites
- Local farmer’s markets in Murrysville and Export
JOIN or RENEW your $15.00 Annual Household/Business membership now!
Help us keep yesterday’s local history alive for today and for future generations! Membership permits free entrance to Heinz History Center for family of four and other potential discounts at historical sites in your travels. MHPS is member of Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation and Laurel Highlands Visitors Center.